Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Locked Doors by Blake Crouch

Locked Doors is the sequel to Desert Places, which I read a couple of weeks ago. The ending left me hanging a bit, so I was happy to read Locked Doors. The pages flew by and kept me reading and I give it a B+.

Inside cover:
Seven years ago, suspense novelist Andrew Thomas's life was shattered when he was framed for a series of murders. The killer's victimes were unearthed on Andrew's lakefront property, and since he was wanted by the FBI, Andrew had no choice but to flee and to create a new identity.
Andrew does just that in a cabin tucked away in the remote wilderness near Haines Junction, Yukon. His only link to society is by email, through which he learns that all the people he ever loved are being stalked and murdered. Culminating in the spooky and secluded Outer Banks of North Carolina, the paths of Andrew Thoms, a psychotic, and a young female detective collide.

If you plan on reading this book, I would highly recommend that you start first with Desert Places, which really lays a lot of groundwork for this book. I would also want to warn you that both books are very violent and there are a lot of dead bodies left around in the wake. Sometimes I think that the blood and gore was added just for the sake of having more bloods and guts, but the suspense really keeps your heart racing. This book is also leaves the reader hanging a bit, but there doesn't seem to be another book in the series. Mr. Crouch has a new book that was released today, actually, but it seems to go the way of paranormal books, and that just really doesn't interest me.
I'm glad this book was so good, though. I was previously reading another book, one by Thomas H. Cook, and again I was halfway through it and just couldn't finish it. It was too boring. I am beginning to think that Red Leaves may have been a fluke for me, since this was the second book I tried to read by him and didn't love it. Since I had one more by him checked out from the library, I ended up taking it back unread. I still have two more lirbary books to read, and I really need/want to start reading more off of my own shelves. I am going to read another book by Emily Listfield next and then I have Dean Koontz's latest book, Relentless, to read. That will be my first by Mr. Koontz, and from the reviews I have been reading lately, it looks like a good one to start off with. I hope everyone else has had a smooth transistion to work after a long holiday weekend and Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Susan Crouch said...

If you liked "Locked Doors", you will love "Abandon". Trust me, it's not what you think.

Kristie said...

Hmm... maybe I will have to give it a try. I will see if my library has it or is planning on getting it. Thanks for commenting!

Literary Feline said...

Thanks for the review, Kristie! I am glad the second book ended up being good too! I really like how you start off with how you felt about the book. It's a good format!

I haven't read anything by Cook, but I do have Red Leaves in my TBR room to try. That's disappointing that the other book by him you tried wasn't very good.

I've been hearing good things about Relentless. I've read a couple of books now by Koontz (although not this one) and really liked them.

Kristie said...

I am glad you liked Koontz. I am going to review the book I just finished and try and sneak in a few pages of the Koontz book.