Friday, May 29, 2009

The Woods by Harlan Coben

I started reading The Woods Monday evening and finished it last night. I have heard wonderful things about Mr. Coben, and after reading Hold Tight and not being incredibly impressed, I wanted to give another book a chance. I enjoyed Hold Tight and thought it was a good read, but nothing that had me racing to pick up the book. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Twenty years ago summer camp, Paul Copeland's sister died in the woods, the alleged victim of a serial killer. Now Paul is the prosecutor of Essex County, New Jersey, immersed in the biggest case of his career- a case that will change everything he believes about the past... and the truth.

Perhaps one of the reasons why I didn't love this book is because it is classified as a legal thriller, and I would have to agree. Legal thrillers are not my favorite type of thrillers, and sometimes they bore me a bit. It's funny though, because probably my favorite part of the book was the case that Paul was trying. It is a rape case, and one that reminds me somewhat of the Duke Lacrosse case. I enjoy when author's pull events out of real life and weave them into their story. Part of the problem I had with this story was that some of the parts just seemed to be a bit unbelievable and that so many things happened at once. It seemed like in the end, there were just too many people and things to keep together and it was just a bit hard to understand how all of it could come together. The ending also left me hanging a bit, which I admit, sometimes I enjoy. While I like everything to be tied up neatly, sometimes it is nice to be left wondering. While I won't be giving up on Mr. Coben, I probably won't be buying anymore of his books but will read those I still have.

Up next is a book I read about on someone's blog, though I am not sure whose. It is titled Life Without Summer and it seems to be something different. I plan on getting some reading done tonight, though I have a horrible headache right now. I took something and am hoping it will take care of it, but right now I am not too hopeful. In the wonderful world of the NHL, my wonderful Wings start in the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow night to crush the Penguins yet again, just like last year. They also play Sunday, so my weekend will be full of red and cheer! GO WINGS!!! I hope everyone is enjoying their own reads and has a wonderful weekend! Happy Reading!

No comments: