Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dead Before Dark by Wendy Corsi Staub

Ms. Staub is hands down one of my favorite authors, and each year I eagerly anticipate her newest suspense book. I got Dead Before Dark last week and started reading it last week and just now finished it. I really enjoyed it and give it an A-.

Back cover:
The Night Watchman is ready to kill- again. After thirty-five years in prision, he is free to commit the same twisted atrocities that once made him as notorious as the Zodiac Killer and Jack the Ripper. Now at last, his moment has come...
For renowned psychic Lucinda Sloan, fame is a double edged sword. Through her television apperances, she helps police capture America's most elusive serial killers. Unfortunately, she also catches the eye of the Night Watchman. Once this madman learns that Lucinda "sees" murders after they're committed, it's time to play...
The first victim is someone she knows- a personal shock that brings Lucinda closer to her ex-lover, Detective Randall Barakat. Then a second murder in Chicago, and a third in Denver, makes her realize that the Night Watchman is toying with her. Each victim wears a wristwatch...each watch bears a message... and each message is a warning for Lucinda that her time is up and soon she'll be the next to die...

I will be the first to admit that I am not the biggest fan of paranormal books, including those about psychics, so I was a bit worried that Dead Before Dark might not be that great. This wasn't a problem, though, because while Lucinda's psychic powers play a small part in the book, it isn't all the book is about. The killer was quite creepy, and the clues he leaves only add to the suspense. It was also nice to catch up with Cam and her family, who were the center of Ms. Staub's previous suspense novel. All in all, this was just a pleasure to read and one that keeps the reader engaged.

I read this book so slowly, and I am not sure why. My reading has just slowed way down. Today is my birthday, so I took the day off from work and made time to read. I think a big problem is that I get distracted with the computer or something on t.v. so I just need to make a point of it that I keep them both off. I have some great books that I just picked up from the library along with some great ones I got from the library used book sale, so I definitely need to get back on the ball. I hope everyone else is having a wonderful week and Happy Reading!

No comments: