Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen

As I mentioned in my previous post, the last time I was at the library I saw A Wicked Snow and remembered all of the great reviews about this book. J. Kaye even named it one of her top books of 2008! I read Mr. Olsen's second book, A Cold Dark Place, last summer and didn't love it, but I had to give A Wicked Snow a try. It was a good read and I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Hannah Griffin was a girl when tragedy struck on her family's farm. She still remembers the flames reflected against the newly fallen snow and the bodies the police dug up one of them her mother's. It was the nation's worst murder scene in decades and the killer was never found! Twenty years later Hannah is a talented CSI investigating a case of child abuse when the past comes hurtling back. Years of buried questions are brought to life. A killer with unfinished business is on the hunt. And an anonymous message turns Hannah's blood cold: Your Mom called...

I started reading this Monday and stayed up too late last night finishing it. I loved the premise of this book and the idea that the bad guy was someone that normally isn't. Even though the reader knows who the bad guy through most of the book, the suspense was still there. I did have a couple of small problems with the book though. I felt like the ending was a bit rushed and there were some questions that were left unanswered. I guess the reader can kind of surmise what happens, but sometimes I like things spelled out for me especially in a suspense book. I also really didn't feel a connection with Hannah. I'm not sure why as there was no reason for me to not like her, but I guess I felt she came across kind of flat. With all of that being said, I still enjoyed the book and am glad I read it. I will be looking for Mr. Olsen's next book when it is released, probably sometime this fall.

A Wicked Snow was read as part of the library and Suspense Challenge. A Wicked Snow falls under the category of serial killer suspense. My next read, which is also another library book, is called Married to a Stranger and is by Patricia MacDonald. This one will fall under the romantic suspense category. If I keep going at this rate I will have my first ever challenge completed within the month! Happy Reading!

2 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

I've heard lots of good things about this book but haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. It sounds really good though. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this book, both of his fiction books actually. He is fabulous!