Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fear the Night by John Lutz

Another John Lutz book, and another happy reader. I liked this book and it kept me hanging and wanting to read more, so I will rate it a B+.

From the back of the book:
He comes out when the sun goes down. He delivers death from the barrel of a rifle. He's made New York City his shooting gallery. Men and women, natives and tourists, young and old, have all been his victims. The press has named him the Night Sniper. He taunts those who would try to stop him, threatening to increase the body count unless legendary retired homicide detective Vin Repetto is will to engage him in a lethal game of cat and mouse.

Repetto paid his dues. Over twenty years on the force, obtaining a captain's rank, and injured in the line of duty, he's earned his retirement. Yet he can't help feeling responsible for the lives The Night Sniper has taken, and will continue to take if his challenge remains unanswered. The decision is snatched from his hands when the next victim is murdered right before Repetto's eyes. Now, the game is truly set to begin, but the Night Sniper doesn't realize they are playing by Repetto's rules...

I am sure the idea of this book came from the Beltway Snipers a couple of years back in Washington D.C. I recall watching the news and just being dumbfounded that someone would actually do something like that and I think that actually living through the news accounts really made this book a little bit spookier. One of the things I love about John Lutz is he lets on the identity of the villian midway through the book and gives an inside look to what causes someone to snap and became a psycho. The book had me hooked and I enjoyed it. The reason why I gave it a B+ though is because Mr. Lutz seems to have a formula and sticks with it. It works, but sometimes I would like to see a little bit of variety. All of the books I have read center around a detective who is retired and teamed up with two other detectives that are kind of on the outside fringes, possibly about to be demoted. It works, but I would like to see a different setup. I am not sure if that is how all of his books are, but it probably will not stop me from reading more of his. I do have two more of his books on my bookshelf to read anyways.

Up next is another library book I picked up today. I have noticed this book reviewed on several blogs and decided to place it on hold through my library. It is different from what I usually read, though I was intrigued. It is Candy Girl, A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody. I want to see the movie Juno and thought to start off reading the screenwriter's memoir. I hope it is interesting.

Happy Reading everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read one of his books forever! :0)

Kristie said...

You should pick one up. They are a good thriller, and you know you will always get a good adventure.