Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Wentworths by Kate Arnoldi

This book was a bit like nothing I have ever read before. I really don't understand what the reason or main idea of the story was, but it was a fun read. I graded it a B.

From Amazon:
Katie Arnoldi's critically acclaimed debut novel Chemical Pink launched her onto the bestseller lists and so burrowed itself into the public's consciousness that its title was the answer to a double Jeopardy question. Now, seven years later, her second novel, The Wentworths, arrives, delivering a fascinating, erotic, dark, and savagely funny page-turner that will both satiate her fans and appeal to new readers of all stripes.
Arnoldi's searing portrait of a wealthy Westside, Los Angeles, family, is a true binge read--boldly dramatizing the disfunctionality of the modern American family. Comic and horrifying, sadistic and hilarious, tragic and funny all at the same time, The Wentworths is a shocking yet redemptive tale that will have fans cheering.


This story is centered around a dysfunctional, extremely weathly family from Beverly Hills. The reader gets to meet the mother and father, the two sons, and the daughter and her family. You get a very short description about each of the characters but there is little, if any, character development. However, the story was fun and the characters were really out there. It was an enjoyable read, but just felt like too much of a short story than a novel. I really don't have much more to say about the book because it was just so short and there really didn't seem to be much of a point of the book.

Up next is the last library book I have called Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club. I plan on getting a good amount of reading done this evening as I have no plans. Tomorrow will be cleaning and laundry day and I already watched the Wings crush the Avalanche today so this evening will be relaxing. I do want to get to the bookstore and see if I can find the newest Wendy Corsi Staub book that is supposed to be released on Tuesday. She is one of my favorite authors and her suspense novels are always so good. Hope everyone is having a great weekend and Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep promising myself I'm going to read a book by Wendy Corsi Staub and haven't. Oh, I take that back. She wrote a nonfiction. What was the name of that book? Ugh - can't remember, but I haven't read anything fiction by her.

Kristie said...

You really need to read one. I love her and am always stalking the bookstores a couple of weeks before it is released to get it.

Kristie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.