Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Four Wives by Wendy Walker

I really enjoyed Four Wives. While it started out slow, it really picked up for me and I finished it in one day. I even stayed up last night late to finish reading it. That says something about me. I will rate this book a B+.

From Amazon:
In Wendy Walker’s brilliant debut, the lives of four wives and mothers intertwine and collide in a tale of suburban angst among outrageous wealth.On the outside, it appears as though Love Welsh, Marie Passetti, Gayle Beck and Janie Kirk lead enviable lives, with marriages to handsome, successful men; bright, happy children; and homes right out of Architectural Digest. But in the wealthy suburb of Hunting Ridge, appearances mask a deeper truth: These four wives are anything but perfect. As they try to maintain a façade of bliss, behind closed doors they each face their own crises—infidelity, dissatisfaction, self-doubt. As springtime draws to an end, doors are both opened and closed and the women come face to face with the most difficult and heartbreaking challenge of their lives—to reconcile their innermost desires with the lives that each of them has chosen.

At first, a lot of the characters really got on my nerves. In the beginning I felt like these women were just sitting around whining about their lives when they had made the decision to lead them that way. It also bothered me how one of the women resented the fact of taking care of her children. But as you read on, you did get to see and understand more about the women's feelings and were their problems lied. While personally I didn't agree with most of their choices, I did gete a better understanding and developed a sense of caring about what happened to them. I felt like there were a lot of unanswered questions at the end of the book, though there were enough clues left to give you an idea of what was going to come of it. It just worked in this book where in others it really bothers me. It was definitely something different from my usual types of books and it worked for right now.

Up next is In Her Death which is a memoir. I enjoy a good memoir or autobiography every now and then and this one seems to have promise. I am only about 10 pages in from my dentist appointment earlier, but I am eager to get back into it. I hope it holds my attention so I can get a couple more good reads in before the end of the month. In fact, I am going to get the book and enjoy the wonderful spring weather right now. Happy Reading!

No comments: