Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

What a fun book! I definitely had my doubts before picking up this book because of the comparisions to the Stephanie Plum series, but I really enjoyed this. I had at least a little smile on my face the entire time I read it and have to give this book an A.

From Amazon:
Meet Isabel "Izzy" Spellman, private investigator. This twenty-eight-year-old may have a checkered past littered with romantic mistakes, excessive drinking, and creative vandalism; she may be addicted to Get Smart reruns and prefer entering homes through windows rather than doors -- but the upshot is she's good at her job as a licensed private investigator with her family's firm, Spellman Investigations. Invading people's privacy comes naturally to Izzy. In fact, it comes naturally to all the Spellmans. If only they could leave their work at the office. To be a Spellman is to snoop on a Spellman; tail a Spellman; dig up dirt on, blackmail, and wiretap a Spellman.
Part Nancy Drew, part Dirty Harry, Izzy walks an indistinguishable line between Spellman family member and Spellman employee. Duties include: completing assignments from the bosses, aka Mom and Dad (preferably without scrutiny); appeasing her chronically perfect lawyer brother (often under duress); setting an example for her fourteen-year-old sister, Rae (who's become addicted to "recreational surveillance"); and tracking down her uncle (who randomly disappears on benders dubbed "Lost Weekends"). But when Izzy's parents hire Rae to follow her (for the purpose of ascertaining the identity of Izzy's new boyfriend), Izzy snaps and decides that the only way she will ever be normal is if she gets out of the family business. But there's a hitch: she must take one last job before they'll let her go -- a fifteen-year-old, ice-cold missing person case. She accepts, only to experience a disappearance far closer to home, which becomes the most important case of her life.


This book was definitely low on the mystery, and in fact I was more than halfway through with the book before the mystery was even introduced. However, it was so much fun and I loved to get to know all about Izzy, her older brother David, her younger sister Rae, and all of the other Spellmans. This book provided a lot of chuckles though it wasn't so over the top that it may be absolutely unbelievable. I am so happy that this book is part of a series, and I have already placed the next one on hold through my library. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a light-hearted mystery with some great laughs and a quick read. I am counting down the days until I get the next one in from the library.

Up next is Tina Wainscott's newest book, What Lies In the Shadows. I have several of her books but I am pretty sure I have never read one. This one caught my attention when I bought it at the bookstore before my giving up buying books for Lent and for some reason it never made it to my bookshelf. When I went to get the next book I was planning on reading, there it was lying so I decided to give it a chance. I hope I enjoy her books as I have several others of hers. I should be able to get a good start on it today as I am at work and things are pretty slow for me. Chris and I have bowling when tonight when I get done with work, so my reading time tonight will be cut big time. I hope everyone else's weekend has gotten off to a good start and Happy Reading!

No comments: