Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Crazy School by Cornelia Read

I have heard so much about Cornelia Read that I was surprised to find out that The Crazy School was only her second book. The premise sounded really interesting and I thought it would be a great book to read. However, I was a little let down and can only give it a C.

From Amazon:
From the acclaimed author of A FIELD OF DARKNESS comes another compelling novel featuring the acerbic and memorable voice of ex-debutante Madeline Dare.Madeline Dare has finally escaped rust-belt Syracuse, New York, for the lush BerkshireMountains in Massachusetts. After her husband's job offer falls through, Maddie signs on as a teacher at the SantangeloAcademy, a boarding school for disturbed teenagers. Behind the academy's ornate gates, she discovers a disturbing realm where students and teachers alike must submit to the founder's bizarre therapeutic regimen. From day one, Maddie feels uneasy about smooth-talking Dr. Santangelo but when she questions his methods, she's appalled to find that her fellow teachers would rather turn on each other than stand up for themselves, much less protect the students in their care. A chilling event confirms Maddie's worst suspicions, then hints at an even darker secret history, one that twines through the academy's very heart. Cut off from the outside world, Maddie must join forces with a small band of the school's most violently rebellious students-kids whose troubled grip on reality may well prove to be her only chance of salvation.

After reading through the first couple of chapters, I realized that this was the second book in a series. Being the anal person I am, I hate when I read books out of order. I kept reading though because the story seemed something that I would be really interested in. I am really amazed by the whole cult experience and it just baffles my mind on how people can become sucked in to believe someone so much. I also loved the idea of a teacher really trying to help troubled students. However, the book left me disappointed. I didn't get to learn a lot about Maddie's past, probably because it was the second book in a series. There was also some words and phrases used that weren't easily understood (at least by me) and background of things in history that I had absolutely no idea about. I consider myself to be somewhat educated, however, a lot of it was over my head. I ended up skimming a lot of the book though I did want to know what was going on and how it was going to end. I think the book and the premise had a lot of hope and promise and wish I had enjoyed it more.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I don't have any library books checked out, with The Crazy School being the last one, so I am going to go down to my mini library and pick out something that grabs my attention. The Red Wings play this afternoon so I will be watching and reading at the same time. My lovely husband, Chris, did all of the cleaning and laundry yesterday when I was at work so I don't have anything pressing to worry about. I do need to color my hair and want to try and get to Michael's to buy a new wreath for my door. I have a 50% off coupon for today only, so I might try to make it up there. I have another one that is good on Friday, I think, so if I don't get there today I am going to go then. I have another crazy week this week but then next week is Spring Break so I have a week off! Yay! I need to re-catalogue all of my books and get organized but I am planning on a lot of reading! I hope everyone had a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: