Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Abduction by Mark Gimenez

This is yet another book I got from reading Book Bitch's website. When I started reading it, I almost put it down because part of the book was about the Vietnam war, and history isn't one of my favorite topics. However, I kept reading... and reading and finished this 500+ pages book in one day. I give it an A-.

From Amazon:
Ben Brice lives alone in the New Mexico wilderness where he battles memories of Vietnam with oceans of Jim Beam. Miles away in Texas, his estranged son, John, an Internet geek-turned-billionaire, half watches his daughter Gracie's soccer game while conducting business on his cell phone. When her mother Elizabeth arrives, the coach reports that her uncle has already collected Gracie. But Gracie has no uncle--she was kidnapped.
From international best-selling author Mark Gimenez comes a terrifying thriller in which dark family secrets make the finding of ten-year-old Gracie Brice more uncertain with every passing minute. And so begins a furious race against time to save Gracie from unknown kidnappers. With the FBI camped out in the Brice mansion, the family offers a reward of $25 million. Somehow, Ben and John Brice must find Gracie before it is too late. As the story unfolds with riveting twists and turns, the reader discovers that behind the kidnapping is an extraordinary government plot that could change the course of American history. And time is running out....


This was an excellent book. The suspense was well done, but even better was the fact that we got to learn a lot about the characters. I immediately fell in love with the little girl, Gracie. She had such spunk and was funny. Her father was also a wonderful written character, and the pain that the family is going through is so clear. While some of the things that happened seemed a little far-fetched, it was still an excellent story. With flashbacks about the Vietnam war, I learned a lot about the war, which as being born after the war was over, I sadly do not know a lot about it. I just really cannot rave enough about this book. I highly recommend it and am really happy that I stuck with it.

I went to the library yesterday and stocked up on books. My book buying can now resume since Lent is over, however I found so many great books at the library. Up next is another James Patterson book I got from the library. It's called Judge and Jury and I hope it is another good one. I hope everyone had a great weekend and is having a good week. Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Thankin' you. I like Book Bitch, too. Just added this one as a pre-order when it comes out in June. Added THE COLOR OF LAW, his first book, to the stack, too.

Kristie said...

I will have to check out his previous books. This one is still sticking with me after finishing it two days ago. To me, that is really saying something!