Friday, March 14, 2008

The Liar's Diary

I am pretty sure I read about this book at someone's blog though I don't recall whose. I read so many blogs and my memory is a little weak lately, though I am glad I did pay attention. This was a well written book which I give a B+.

From Amazon:
Answering the question of what is more powerful—family or friendship? this debut novel unforgettably shows how far one woman would go to protect either.
They couldn’t be more different, but they form a friendship that will alter both their fates. When Ali Mather blows into town, breaking all the rules and breaking hearts (despite the fact that she is pushing forty), she also makes a mark on an unlikely family. Almost against her will, Jeanne Cross feels drawn to this strangely vibrant woman, a fascination that begins to infect Jeanne’s “perfect” husband as well as their teenaged son.
At the heart of the friendship between Ali and Jeanne are deep-seated emotional needs, vulnerabilities they have each been recording in their diaries. Ali also senses another kind of vulnerability; she believes someone has been entering her house when she is not at home—and not with the usual intentions. What this burglar wants is nothing less than a piece of Ali’s soul.
When a murderer strikes and Jeanne’s son is arrested, we learn that the key to the crime lies in the diaries of two very different women . . . but only one of them is telling the truth.


This book dealt a lot with the relationship these two women formed with each other and gives the reader an inside look of Jeanne's life and what she learns. Jeanne seems to have the perfect life with the doctor husband and a young, popular son but we soon realize that things are not always as they seem. She really went through her life with blinders on and pretends that everything is hunky dory. However, because of this Jeanne becomes a very unsympathetic character. In fact, by the end of the book I was so mad at her character that I was almost shaking. Without giving away anything, I was just so angry that a mother worried so much about appearances more than her own son. However, the ending was well done and I was happy with it. When I started the book I didn't think I would really like it but it quickly sucked me in. I am glad I read it and will keep my eyes out for more by Patry Francis.

Up next is The Crazy School by Cornelia Read. Set in a high school, it sounds like something I can relate to after subbing in all different schools and meeting all sorts of different students. I hope to put a good size dent in it tonight as dinner is done, the laundry is done, and my beloved Red Wings aren't playing tonight. That means more reading time for me. I hope it grabs me right away. I am on a good pace right now with my reading and having a lot of luck with the books I am reading and would love to keep it up. I do have to work tomorrow but that is the extent of my weekend plans. Yay! I haven't had a Saturday night with nothing to do in such a long time and I am going to enjoy it. Now I just have to get through work first...! Hope everyone else has a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: