Monday, February 11, 2008

Beneath the Skin by Nicci French

I love Nicci French's books since they are great psychological suspenses. I know she released a new book late last year though it didn't seem to grab my attention. I pulled Beneath the Skin off of my shelves to continue with my self-imposed challenge and I was not disappointed. I give Beneath the Skin an A-.

From Amazon:
"When she laughs, she makes a pealing sound, like a doorbell. If I told her I loved her, she would laugh at me like that. She would think I was not serious. That is what women do. They turn what is serious and big into a small thing, a joke. Love is not a joke. It is a matter of life and death. One day, soon, she will understand that."
Zoe, a pretty blond schoolteacher. Jenny, a former hand model turned model wife and mother. Nadia, an irrepressible free spirit who entertains at children's parties. Three women living in different parts of London, grappling with different problems, sheltering different dreams--their lives and narratives linked only by the singular madness of a sadistic stalker. As they move slowly through the sweltering heat of summer, someone is sending these women letters that let each know she is being watched, studied, and loved from afar--even unto death.


We only get to meet the two first women briefly with the remaining of the story focusing on Nadia. When reading this, you really get the sense of what these women are going through and their fear of this unknown stalker. The reader does learn who the stalker is about halfway through, though it definitely does not take away from any of the suspense. There are also other interesting plots run throughout the story which makes it an even better book. This is a good psychological one that really allows you to into the heads of these three women and even the killer himself. I need to check my logs and see which ones of Ms. French I have not read as I really enjoy her books and would highly recommend it.

Up next is The Dollmaker by Amanda Stevens. I have had this on my shelf since it came out and recently heard some things about it through Shelfri's thriller thread. Someone just finished it and was raving about it, so I decided to read this one next. I hope it is as good as they say! The cover is definitely a little scary, that's for sure.

My reading has slowed down big time but my scheldule, especially work, has really picked up big time. I guess it is a good thing, but with this below zero weather, I wouldn't mind staying home curled up on the couch with a good book. Oh well, in this state's economy, I am thankful for even having a job. Anyways, I hope everyone else had a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: