Friday, January 11, 2008

Killer Riff by Sheryl J. Anderson

I have been reading this series since it first came out several years ago. These books have always been a fun, light read but for some reason this book didn't do anything for me. I would give it a C.

From Amazon:
Glossy mag advice columnist Molly Forrester has been working her tail off to get recognized as an investigative journalist and has even solved a few murders along the way, but none of that matters to her editor, who’s more than happy to keep Molly tied down to her Dear Abby roots. Thankfully, though, her publisher has taken notice and has a lot more faith: Molly’s been promoted, and her first assignment as a full-time feature writer should be a cinch. It’s a profile of Russell Elliott, the legendary rock manager/producer who just died of an accidental overdose. The rock ’n roll world is pretty accustomed to seeing its brightest stars burn out early, and jaded as it sounds, no one is shocked by Elliot’s death---no one except his daughter, that is, who is convinced that it was no accident. All Molly has to do to keep her new job, pump up newsstand sales, and win back reluctant beau NYPD homicide detective Kyle Edwards is give Elliot a once-over like a devoted fan, without looking too deeply at anything that smacks of murder, like his infamous family, his infighting protégés, or the rumor about his long-lost bootleg tapes. What could be easier for Zeitgeist magazine’s newest star? Almost anything.

This book just didn't do anything for me. I don't know if it is because I am kind of the chick-lit phase or if it is just the timing right now, but I couldn't get into it. It took me close to two days just to get 100 pages in and then I felt like I had spent this much time in reading it and I couldn't just give it up. Some of the good things include the fact that I like Molly and her friends and they have a really tight friendship. Her boyfriend Kyle is all right too. The mystery was kind of hard to follow and I felt that there were too many characters to keep track of. I also didn't like how one minute Molly is in one location and then the next sentence they are somewhere else. No page break, different chapter or even a different paragraph. It just irritated me and I had to concentrate more than I like to in a chick lit book.

Up next is another one of my library books. I picked up two more books and currently have six library books to read. I had so many on hold for awhile and then all of the sudden had them all come in. The next one I am going to read is Smash Cut by Steven Womack. This is the same author that wrote By Blood Written that I loved so much. This book is fairly old published in 1991, but I hope it is enjoyable. Everyone have a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: