Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jigsaw by Jerry Kennealy

I can't remember where I heard about this book, but I know my interest was definitely peaked as soon as I read this description. This book had a serial murderer who was taunting a local movie critic with clues from Alfred Hitchcock movies. As a lover of old movies and especially Hitchcock this book seemed like it was right up my alley. However, it didn't quite hold up to my expectations. I rate it a B-.

From Amazon:
A killer calling himself Thanatos, the Greek God of death, has been sending e-mails to entertainment critic Carroll Quint, taunting him with clues about his next target from Alfred Hitchcock movies. The victims were all friends of Quint: a screenwriter, an actor, and a makeup artist. Since Quint is the one person connected to all three victims, the police have fingered him for the murders. Quints mother, a former starlet and movie trivia buff, points him in the right direction when she tells him, Thanatos is like one of the midgets in Casablanca, Carroll. Hes right there, you see him, but you dont take any notice.

The clues were few and far between and I would have liked to see the ties in to Hitchcock have more to do with the characters. I guess this book was a little bit more of a cozy than I would have liked. I think it was a fantastic idea and more could have been done with the idea. That being said, it was an enjoyable read and Mr. Kennealy has written some wonderful characters that surround the main character Carroll Quint. Carroll is also an enjoyable character and had some great one-liners. This book is the first in the series though I don't think I will be actively seeking out the series but if I happen to run across it, I will pick it up. I guess I just like my books a little bit more juicy.

Having gotten back from vacation, I am having a problem getting back into my routine. My anxiety and depression was so much better when I was on vacation and now it is rearing it's ugly head again. However, I am happy to be back in my own surroundings and have my stuff around including my baby Roxy. Right now I am reading All the Pretty Girls by J.T. Ellison and so far, its going good. I am only about 50 pages in and haven't had much time to read today since I am getting the house and laundry in order. I need to get organized before the week starts since this week I start working my late nights and Saturdays at my mom's office, so I want everything to go slowly. I hope everyone else had a wonderful week and Happy Reading!

No comments: