Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

I loved Ms. Lancaster's second book, Bright Lights, Big Ass, and had to read her first book. I had it on hold forever at the library and it finally came in. This was another fun read and was a breeze to whip through. I would give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Jen Lancaster was living the sweet life-until real life kicked her to the curb. She had the perfect man, the perfect job-hell, she had the perfect life-and there was no reason to think it wouldn't last. Or maybe there was, but Jen Lancaster was too busy being manicured, pedicured, highlighted, and generally adored to notice. This is the smart-mouthed, soul-searching story of a woman trying to figure out what happens next when she's gone from six figures to unemployment checks and she stops to reconsider some of the less-than-rosy attitudes and values she thought she'd never have to answer for when times were good. Filled with caustic wit and unusual insight, it's a rollicking read as speedy and unpredictable as the trajectory of a burst balloon.

Ms. Lancaster learns a pretty bitter, important lesson throughout this book. She had been living the high life for so long and then everything just crashes. In the wake of 9/11, the jobs dry up and eventually both her and her new husband are unemployed. Jen tries to get jobs everywhere, yet she is either over-qualified or has burned bridges. I somewhat understand what she and her husband, Fletch, went through. Living in Michigan, we have been in a one-state recession (as all of the Republican nominees have been saying the past five days while campagining here... and don't gett me started about how messed up the Democrats who run this state caused for no Democrat people coming here and only having Hillary on the ballot (who I can't stand, though doesn't bother me too much since I tend to lean towards the right)) and with the automotive industry losing money our economy has been in the pooper. My husband is working less and I have little hopes for finding a full time job as a teacher so there are like zero openings. However, Ms. Lancaster lived foolishly and spent outrageous amounts of money on rent and $800 purses. It is an interesting story to see how they are able to make positive things come of it all and eventually turn things around. The story also contains Ms. Lancaster's fun wit and sarcastic remarks which had me laughing out loud. I am looking forward to her newest book which is to be released this spring.

Up next is going to be another library book that I got a recommendation from an old Mystery Scene magazine. It is by Michael Allegretto and is titled Night of Renuion. It was published in 1990 and I have high hopes that it is some what better than Smash Cut. Actually now that I think about, I am not sure how I heard of this book, but here it is. I just read the inside cover again and it still sounds good. I hope I finish this one fast because on Saturday morning I am leaving for a week in Florida. I would really like to limit the amount of library books I bring with me. Hope everyone else is having a good start to the week and Happy Reading!

No comments: