Thursday, October 25, 2007

No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

Boy it has been forever since I posted. Things have been crazy busy with school and trying to get ready for graduation, so my reading has almost ceased. Anyways, I have been reading No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay for awhile and finally finished it. I enjoyed the book and give it a B.

From Amazon:
Barclay (Bad Guys) tugs hard on the heartstrings with the tragic tale of Cynthia Bigge, whose parents and brother vanished without a trace the day after she had a tempestuous teenage argument with her father. Twenty-five years later, raising a daughter with her husband, Terrence Archer, in Milford, Conn., but still haunted by her family's disappearance, Cynthia goes on TV to talk about what happened and plead for clues. A mysterious phone call leads her to believe her father, at least, may still be alive, but as her excitement grows, so do Terrence's worries. It soon appears that someone is playing a unexpectedly vicious game with Cynthia's emotions, and that her family held secrets she never suspected.

I was a bit disappointed by this book. I have loved all of Mr. Barclay's books and this is his first stand-alone. Everywhere I read they said it was such a great suspense, and to me it was all right, but nothing Earth-shattering. Maybe because it took me so long to read broke up the suspense, but I didn't find it to live up to the reviews. Not to say that it wasn't a great book, I was just a little underwhelmed. I also really didn't care for Cynthia, the main character's wife. She had been through a lot, but to me seemed like she was a little too intense and took somethings out on her husband that she shouldn't have. Actually, the more I think about it, that is kind of the case in all of Mr. Barclay's books. I always enjoy the main character, but the wife seems to come across as too brash. Anyways, it is a good book and I recommend it.

Not sure what I am going to read next or how long it will take me. I really miss reading, but I leave the house at 6:30, get home around 4:30 and then am doing work for school, checking papers, etc. If I didn't have to do so much for graduation, I know I would have more time. I am really enjoying school and am going to miss everyone when I leave in December. I won't be missing college though. I look forward to taking a little bit of time off until I start my Masters. Anyways, I hope everyone else is reading some good books and I expect that when I have time to do more bloghopping, I will have a ton of books to look out for. Happy Reading everyone and have a great weekend!

No comments: