Saturday, October 6, 2007

Stone Rain by Linwood Barclay

So ever since last year when I discovered Mr. Barclay's books while looking on the shelves at the library, I have been obsessed with them. I picked up Mr. Barclay's fourth book in the Zack Walker series from the library and just absolutely loved it. I grade it an A-.



From Amazon:



Metropolitan newspaper writer Zack Walker has a knack for stumbling onto deadly stories. But it’s one that his good friend Trixie Snelling doesn’t want told that’s about to unleash a storm of trouble. As a professional dominatrix in the suburbs, Trixie has her share of secrets, but Zack has no idea what she’s really hiding when a local newspaperman threatens to do an exposé on her…not until Zack finds a dead body strapped to the bondage cross in her basement dungeon.



Now Zack is implicated in a murder, Trixie is missing, and everything he thought he knew about his friend, his town, even his own marriage, reveals a darker side. Zack’s twisted trail to the truth will lead to a long-unsolved triple homicide, bikers, drug wars, and a stone-cold killer hell-bent on revenge. It’s a story that’s already cost him his job and possibly his wife, and, if Zack’s not very lucky, it will cost him his life.



Zack is such a lovable character who always seems to be falling into trouble. While I would be hard pressed to label these books as mysteries, since we always know who the bad guys are, they keep me reading and turning those pages. There is always humor and you really get a great feel that Zack is just a great family man who is trying to do right by those he loves. The first couple of books were laugh out loud funny, and this one had a few chuckles. It wasn't as funny of the earlier ones, but still real enjoyable. While you certainly do not have to read these books in order, I would recommend it. To anyone who enjoys Carl Hiassen's books, I would urge you to try one of Mr. Barclays books.



Mr. Barclay recently released a stand alone book that is titled No Time for Goodbye which was just released. This book sounds a bit darker and not so much an action book as a a suspense novel. I have it on hold at my library and hope it will get in soon! If you haven't tried his books, run to your nearest library and check his books out!



Up next is The Quickie by James Patterson. I won three books on Emily's blog a bit ago and this was one of the books I selected. I saw the tv commercials for it and it really interested me, so I hope this will be a great read. I have high hopes for getting through a book a bit quicker, especially since I have all day to read. I got a lot done today, so tomorrow should be a bit easier and relaxed. This week is too be crazy, so I want to get some reading in. Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: