Thursday, March 15, 2007

True Confessions of the Stratford Park PTA

I picked up True Confessions of the Stratford Park PTA, a Harlequin Next novel, at the UBS. Harlequin Next novels are always a nice, pleasant read that hardly take more than a couple of hours to read. It was an ok read, average, and I gave it at a 2.5 out of 5.

When the going gets tough, the tough... join the PTA?

Yes, according to Maggie, Barbara and Elizabeth. Because despite their differences- one is a recent widow; one is a late-in-life mother; and one is a supermom whose surprise pregnancy, she fears, will result in complications- all three women have one thing in common: their daughters. They'd do anything for them...

But is anything enough? Because one girl just can't adjust, one is terrified to be alone- and one is the mystery blogger who's wreaking havoc from one end of the student body to the other. Seems as if there are a lot of secrets in this small town. And despite the gossip, not a lot of talking going on.

The blurb on the back of the book is a little misleading. While everything that is mentioned on the back is part of the book, it isn't the main part of the story. There is a small romance and the blogger isn't that big of a part of the story. The main issue is all about growth and how three women of all different ages are going through major changes in their lives. As I mentioned above, it is a very quick read and I feel it probably could have been better if it had been carried out a bit more showing how everyone deals with the changes. I doubt I will be taking much with me from this book as it is not very memorable. A good read for when you only have a few minutes here and there but nothing earth shattering or even much character development. In fact, I found myself skimming quite a bit which I hardly do, especially with a book this short.

Up next is Janet Evanovich's Plum Loving which finally came in from the library. I was planning on buying this, but am so glad I did not. It is $16.95 and not even 170 pages! I am sure I will be finished with it very fast. But I am looking forward to reading it.

No comments: