Friday, March 23, 2007

True Confessions by Rachel Gibson

I grabbed True Confessions off of the TBR bookshelves as I was leaving and needed to grab something to read. Not sure who recommended it or if I just picked it up, but it was an all right reading. However, I did not finish it as I lost the book! I don't know how that happened. I had it today when I went to school to sub, but when I came home I didn't have it. I had about 60 pages left to read, so I was a little disappointed. However, since I read the majority, I feel like I can review it. Two out of five stars.

Sheriff Dylan Taber takes one look at city girl Hope Spencer and bets she won't last a week in Gospel, Idaho. But Ray Bans, tiny spandex tops, and a silver Porsche are not the sum total of a woman, and Hope not only stays more than a week, she makes an indelible impression on the local population while she's driving Dylan crazy with lust and longing. Not that she plans to make the sheriff crazy. Hope just wants to end the writer's block that has plagued her for months so she can return to being a star reporter for an L.A. tabloid.

Fortunately for her, the residents of Gospel provide inspiration for her fertile imagination and she's soon cranking out new stories that her publisher loves. Meanwhile, she's making new friends and falling in love--with the Sawtooth Mountains, with small-town life, and with Dylan Taber. Dylan is keeping a secret, however, and when he finds out that Hope isn't just a writer of nonfiction, but a member of the notorious tabloid paparazzi, all hell breaks loose in Gospel. Can Hope convince him that her actions were innocent and will Dylan ever believe her?


While I didn't finish it, I am sure there was a happily ever after. The book was just blah with me, which is really evident since I am not running to the library or bookstore to get another copy to finish reading. There was nothing outstanding or memorable and I really just kept reading it out of the feeling that I had to finish it. I promised myself I wasn't going to keep doing that, but I did anyways.

I guess part of my problem with the book is that it is so much like so many others I have read. There is a misunderstanding due to people being stupid and then it comes to blows. I can guess how it ends.

Anyways, up next is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult. I got it from the library and it is my second Piccoult novel, after reading The Pact before the Lifetime movie was released several years ago. Anyways, have a great weekend and happy reading!

No comments: