Thursday, November 18, 2010

96. Getting In by Karen Stabiner

I picked up Getting In off of my library's shelves. It sounded like a fun read and something I could somewhat relate to since I am in the educational field. It was a good read, even if it was a bit dry at times, and I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Q: What does a parent need to survive the college application process?
A. A sense of humor.B. A therapist on 24-hour call.C. A large bank balance.D. All of the above.
Getting In is the roller-coaster story of five very different Los Angeles families united by a single obsession: acceptance at a top college, preferably one that makes their friends and neighbors green with envy. At an elite private school and a nearby public school, families devote themselves to getting their seniors into the perfect school--even if the odds are stacked against them, even if they can't afford the $50,000 annual price tag, even if the effort requires a level of deceit, and even if the object of all this attention wants to go somewhere else.
Getting In is a delightfully smart comedy of class and entitlement, of love and ambition, set in a world where a fat envelope from a top school matters more than anything . . . almost.


This was a good read, and I think both adults and teenagers would enjoy the book. Anyone who has had to deal with the pressures of the SATs or college applications I am sure could relate to the book. There was a lot of dry, dark humor but sometimes that's my favorite type! I also love to read about the "elite" private schools and the rich to see how the other half lives, so this book was right up my alley. You have to forgive me though, because I actually finished this book quite awhile ago and am having trouble remembering things I wanted to say. Oh well... that's life!

No comments: