Tuesday, June 29, 2010

48. The Unquiet by John Connolly

The Unquiet was an impulse grab while looking and browsing at my local library. This was a new to me author, and to be truthful, I'm not sure why I finished it. It was long and a bit confusing and I give it a C.

From Amazon:
But that is the nature of revenge. It escalates. It cannot be controlled. One hurt invites another, on and on until the original injury is all but forgotten in the chaos of what follows.John Connolly's originality and talent for storytelling have quickly made him one of today's preeminent thriller writers. Now, inThe Unquiet,private detective Charlie Parker returns to untangle a horrifying story of betrayal, unclean desires, and murder -- a story of never-ending evil whose conclusion is not yet written.Daniel Clay, a once-respected psychiatrist, has gone missing. His daughter insists that he killed himself after allegations surfaced that he had betrayed his patients to foul and evil men -- but when a killer obsessed with uncovering the truth behind his own daughter's disappearance comes seeking revenge, long-forgotten secrets begin to emerge. Hired by Dr. Clay's daughter to protect her from the predator on the loose, tortured and ingenious private detective Charlie Parker finds himself trapped between those who want the truth to be revealed and those who will go to any length to keep it hidden.John Connolly masterfully intertwines secret lives and secret sins with the violence that so often lies beneath the surface of the honeycomb world in this gripping page-turner. Fast-paced, hypnotic, and elegantly written, The Unquiet is John Connolly at his chilling best.

Like I mentioned above, this was a long book with tiny print. There were a ton of characters that were difficult to keep track of. As a matter of fact at the end of the book, as all of the bad guys were being revealed, I had to look back at the beginning to find out who some of them were. I thought that there was too many things going on that definitely could have been left out. I almsot didn't finish the book and should have given up and I am not sure why I didn't. I probably won't be checking out more from Mr. Connolly. Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Staci said...

We just don't have time to read C books do we??? Sometimes that happens and I used to finish them in the past...but the older I get the easier it has become for me to just send it back to the library unfinished!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristie said...

I know Staci... I am kind of surprised I finished it too. Especially now, summer reading time is just too precious!