Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My Hero

Tonight was a bittersweet, lovely night. I went to the Detroit Red Wings' game and before the game was the ceremony of retiring my hero's number, Steve Yzerman. Steve was drafted to join the Red Wings in 1983, when I was only 2 years old. My family was a huge hockey family, and for as long as I can remember, I watched and loved the Red Wings. One in particular, though, was my favorite, and that was number 19. I loved him for all he stood on and off the ice, and when he announced his retirement this summer, even though it was expected, it was a devasting day for me.


Steve has put his heart and soul into the game and the Red Wing organization. He is a wonderful person who lead by example, and was never one to brag or talk about himself. The one time I did meet him, he was the nicest, kindest person that any celebrity (and hockey players in Detroit are celebrities here) could be. While I miss him on the ice, I know that his family is finally getting their fair share of time with him. Tonight was wonderful with so many hockey greats and fans alike celebrating Steve one last time. I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of it. (So thanks to my dad and my stepmom, who gave me her ticket, for bringing me there). It was wonderful and something that I will always remember!


Oh yeah, the Wings beat the Anahiem Ducks (the team with 2nd best record in the NHL) 2 to 1!

This picture is from this summer when he announced his retirement.



3 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I listened to his speech last night on the radio. I didn't realize until today that it was on TV here. He really is a class guy isn't he? And it's so nice that he got to play his whole career in Detroit. So often anymore it gets tough to have a favourite player and then watch him get traded to another (and sometimes dare I say rival) team.

Kristie said...

It is wonderful. And the thing that got me the most was he thanked Anahiem for waiting so patiently and for playing in a game that was going to run late. I can think of no other player that would even think of the opposing team, much less thank them.

Kristie (J) said...

Yea - that struck me too. And him wishing them luck. Even though I'm sure he was hoping the Wings won, you really got the feeling he meant it - and that was just listening to it on the radio. And he sure did credit a lot of people and especially Scotty Bowman.