Saturday, July 24, 2010

63. The Chill of Night by James Hayman

I read The Cutting by Mr. Hayman last year and loved it, so I was excited to see he had a new book out. I read through it in a day or so and really enjoyed it. I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Glamorous young Portland attorney Lainie Goff thought she had it all—brains, beauty, and a fast-track to a partnership in a top-ranked firm that was going to make her rich. But then one cold winter night she pushed things too far, and her naked frozen body is found in the sub-zero temperatures at the end of the Portland Fish Pier.
The only witness to the crime: a mentally disturbed young woman named Abby Quinn who mysteriously disappears the very same night.
With the discovery of Lainie Goff ’s body and the disappearance of Abby Quinn, Portland homicide detective Michael McCabe finds himself on the trail of a relentless and clever killer. A killer he must find before another life is lost.
With The Chill of Night James Hayman returns to tell a gripping tale of evil and deceit and creates characters so real and so human, we want to meet them again and again.


While I have to admit at first I didn't remember much about The Cutting, as soon as I started The Chill of Night, McCabe and his life came rushing back to me. The mystery was well done and I have to admit to being surprised at who the bad guy was. It was suspenseful, and I was surprised more than once when looking up at the page number and couldn't believe how much I'd read... the story moved that fast! All of the characters were enjoyable and I hope Mr. Hayman continues the series.

No comments: