Saturday, July 17, 2010

57. Listen by Rene Guttenridge

I picked up Listen because it was displayed as a new book at the library. The back cover had me intrigued, so I decided to give it a try. I was a bit disappointed and can only give it a C.

From Amazon:
Someone is listening . . . The quaint, close-knit community of Marlo was the ideal place to live . . . until someone started posting private conversations online for everyone to read, word for word. Now it’s neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, as careless comments and hurtful accusations turn the town upside down. Violence and paranoia escalate, and the police scramble to find the person responsible before more people get hurt—or even killed. But what responsibility do the residents of Marlo have for the words they say when they think no one is listening?

I thought that the premise was interesting and something a bit different but it just didn't work for me. The book is considered Christian fiction, but didn't read like that to me. While there were some mentions of praying and God, it was like someone was trying to force religion down your throat. My problem was the writing and the story itself. I thought some things were examined to death that didn't need to be and then more important plot aspects were not thought out and developed well enough. While not sorry I finished this book, I probably would not pick up another by Ms. Guttenridge.

No comments: