Tuesday, July 6, 2010

51. Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl

I picked up Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl while browsing at my local library. While not the type of book I would normally go for, the cover caught my eye and I decided to give it a try. It was different, and a bit annoying, but still enjoyable. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl is a wonderfully intelligent, sexually frank, rollicking novel that introduces us to Nancy Chan, a turn-of-the-millennium call girl who lives and works on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Nancy is full of contradictory desires; she frequently has to choose between making love and making money. On good days, she gets to do both. Surrounded by devoted, wealthy, and powerful johns, some of whom want more than just sex, and caught between two all-consuming call girl friends who complicate her life, Nancy navigates the tricky currents of the world’s oldest profession. With one foot in the bedrooms of her rich and demanding clients and one in the straight world of her unwitting fiancĂ©, who has started to apartment-hunt and arrange a wedding, Nancy keeps her two worlds from colliding in her inimitable style.

The part of the book that annoyed me was the total and complete overuse of italics and exclamation points. They were used so much that it actually distracted me from the reading and had me counting the number on each page instead of focusing on the story. With that being said, the story was different and weird, but enjoyable. I am glad there wasn't a lot of actual descriptions of the sexual acts because when there were, they were quite graphic, and that the story focuses more on Nancy and trying to keep her two lives seperate. While I see there's a sequel out there, my library doesn't have it, so unless I come across it at used book store, I probably won't read it.

No comments: