Saturday, May 1, 2010

33. Prospect Park West by Amy Sohn

I found out about Prospect Park West while looking around Amazon. I placed a hold on it through my library and read it fairly quickly. While it was a good book, the ending disappointed me a bit so I give it a B.

From Amazon:

In Amy Sohn’s smart, sexy, satirical peek into the bedrooms and hearts of Prospect Park West, the lives of for women come together during one long, hot Brooklyn summer. Frustrated Oscar-winning actress Melora Leigh eager to relieve the pressures of raising her adopted toddler, feels the seductive pull of kleptomania; Rebecca Rose, missing her formerly robust sex life, begins a dangerous flirtation with handsome neighborhood celebrity Lizzi O’Donnell, former lesbian (or "hasbian"), wonders what draws her to women despite her sexy husband and adorable baby; and Karen Bryan Shapiro consumes herself with a powerful obsession—snagging the ultimate three-bedroom apartment in a well-maintained, P.S. 321–zoned co-op building. As the women’s paths intertwined (an sometimes collide), each must struggle to keep her man, her sanity . . and her playdates.

I always enjoy reading about New York and moms, so Prospect Park West was right up my alley. I felt for all of the characters in at least one way and was able to relate. There were some laugh out loud moments and it was a nice escape from the usual mysteries I read. The ending was somewhat aburpt though, and I thought that the book could have a few more chapters. I will probably be looking out for more by Amy Sohn in the future.

I still don't think I have my blog mojo back, but I hope to keep up with at least recording my reads and a few small thoughts on each book. Please excuse me if I don't comment as much as I use to or visit as many blogs as I used to, for some reason. Happy Reading!

No comments: