Saturday, April 10, 2010

29. The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz

Oh, how I love these books! Lisa Lutz has such a great voice and there are always several laugh out loud moments. The Spellmans Strike Again was not a letdown. I give it an A-!

From Amazon:
At the ripe old age of thirty-two, former wild child Isabel "Izzy" Spellman has finally agreed to take over the family business. And the transition won't be a smooth one. First among her priorities as head of Spellman Investigations is to dig up some dirt on the competition, slippery ex-cop Rick Harkey--a task she may enjoy a little too much. Next, faced with a baffling missing-persons case at the home of an aging millionaire, Izzy hires an actor friend, Len, to infiltrate the mansion as an undercover butler--a role he may enjoy a little much. Meanwhile, Izzy is being blackmailed by her mother (photographic evidence of Prom Night 1994) to commit to regular blind dates with promising professionals--an arrangement that doesn't thrill Connor, an Irish bartender on the brink of becoming Ex-boyfriend #12.
At Spellman headquarters, it's business as unusual. Doorknobs and light fixtures are disappearing every day, Mom's been spotted crying in the pantry, and a series of increasingly demanding Spellman Rules (Rule #27: No Speaking Today) can't quite hold the family together. Izzy also has to decipher weekly "phone calls from the edge" from her octogenarian lawyer, Morty, as well as Detective Henry Stone's mysterious interest in rekindling their relationsh...well, whatever it was. Just when it looks like things can't go more haywire, little sister Rae's internship researching pro bono legal cases leads the youngest Spellman to launch a grassroots campaign that could spring an innocent man from jail--or land Rae in it.


This is the last Spellman book and I will miss them. I am not sure who my favorite character is as they all offer chuckles and laughs and I really enjoy it. There were some resolutions in the plot, which I was thankful, and while I will miss the books, I am pretty sure it was a good thing and that the stories shouldn't last forever and ever like the Evanovich books.

Well... I am off of work and have to go bowling, so I am going to cut this review short! Check out the Spellman books if you haven't but I do recommend reading them in order!

3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I bought the first book in the series after hearing Lisa Spellman talk at the book festival yesterday, but I haven't managed to get to it yet. I'm glad you enjoy the series so much. I do agree; there comes a time when a series is best brought to an end--and preferably not when everyone's weary of it (like the one you mention).

I hope work goes well for you and enjoy bowling!

Literary Feline said...

LOL I'm getting characters mixed up with authors now. Lisa Lutz. Izzy Spellman.

Staci said...

Now this is an author I've heard of but never read. I'm going to have to start adding a blame file for you so that I can pick up a couple of your A+/A/A- books for the summer!