Thursday, September 3, 2009

Too Close for Comfort by Ellen Feldman

Too Close for Comfort is a book that has been sitting on my TBR shelves for far too long. I probably got it from a UBS or library sale, as it's an older book set in the 1990s. I thought it sounded right up my alley, but I was a bit disappointed. I give it a B-.

Back cover:
Half of the New Yorkers Isobel knew would kill for Pete's baronial Fifth Avenue apartment. Dr. Peter Arlen, psychiatrist, inherited it. Isobel Behringer, architectural preservationist and director of Urban Heritage, married into it. Flush and faintly guilty to be happily married at last, Isobel set about learning the rules of the house. But she couldn't help breaking a few as she cautiously took the shortcut through Pete's waiting room, naked under his shirt, to get more coffee, or look for a pair of gloves, or tempt fate. She thought no one could see her. Until the heavy-breathing calls began, disturbingly intimate, menacing, threatening her marriage and her peace of mind. Someone wanted to fill her shoes, her life, her husband's arms. Someone desperate, deranged. Sone only a razor-edge away...

Since this book is so old, I won't go into too many details or review it in depth. I thought so much more could have been done with the book, especially since it was almost 400 pages long, but a lot of it just focused on Isobel's daily life and the mundane things she does. The suspense really doesn't have a chance to build and Isobel isn't the most likeable character. Things did pick up in the second half of the book and I finished it in a couple of hours this evening between watching mindless tv. The reader discovers who is stalking Isobel with about 100 pages left in the book, and that takes away from the suspense a bit as well. I was able to figure things out towards the end but I find that happening more and more often. Oh well, I am happy to finally finish a book!

My new job is just draining me. I am absolutely miserable there and when I get home from work I am just so burned out I sit and count down the hours until I have to go back. I hope things get better, and holding out hope that they will get better, but if they don't I will be quitting. I've never quit a job before because I didn't like it and I hate the thought of quitting in this economy, but my mental health just isn't worth it. I had today off and am off until Tuesday, so I will be sending out resumes and can always return to subbing. Enought of all of that... I don't want to spend my next four days off thinking about that place. I hope to get lots of reading in this weekend, so I think I will head off to bed now so I can get up early tomorrow to fulfill that goal. Happy Reading everyone!

4 comments:

Staci said...

We're not going to talk about your job (just know that I'm hoping for the best for you!!) because you deserve to enjoy these four days off with tons of good reading!!!!

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Kristie said...

Thanks Staci! It's amazing how relaxed I've been these past days just relaxing and not worrying about it. It's bliss!!!

Literary Feline said...

Enjoy your long weekend, Kristie. Definitely try and keep any thoughts of work out of your mind and enjoy your reading.

I remember when I was stuck in a position I hated. I tried so hard to make it work and just couldn't. It put me in such a funk--even my husband was miserable. After two years, I finally was able to move on. I decided to take a position I never would have considered had I not been so miserable. It was the best decision I made. You have to do what is best for you in the end. Hopefully things will improve, but if they don't, at least you know you know you have other options. I'm sending positive vibes your way, Kristie!

Kristie said...

Thanks Wendy... I will take your comments to heart. It's only been a month but already I see the toll it's taking on me and my husband as well. I am going to give it a bit more time and hope for the best!