Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Roadside Crosses by Jeffrey Deaver

Last week I read The Sleeping Doll, the first book in the Kathryn Dance series, and absolutely loved it, so I was excited that Roadside Crosses came in from the library so quickly. I thought the premise sounded fantastic, but I was a bit disappointed. I end up rating Roadside Crosses a B.

Inside cover:
The Monterey Peninsula is rocked when a killer begins to leave roadside crosses besides local highways- not in memoriam, but as the announcements of his intention to kill. And to kill in particularly horrific and efficient ways: using personal details about the victims that they've carelessly posted in blogs and on social networking sites.
The case lands on the desk of Kathryn Dance, the California Bureau of Investigations foremost body language expert. She and Deputy Michael O'Neil follow the leads to Travis Brigham, a troubled teenager whose role in a fatal car accident has inspired vicious attacks against him on a popular blog, The Chilton Report. As the investigation progresses, Travis disappears. Using techniques he learned as a brilliant participant in role-playing games, he easily evades his pursuers and continues to track his victims. Among the obstacles Kathryn must overcome are politicians from Sacremento, paranoid parents, and the blogger himself, James Chilton, whose belief in the importance of blogging and the new media threatens to derail the case and potientally Dance's career. It is this threat that causes Dance to take desperate and risky measures...

This book really resonated with me, especially since I am a blogger and am on Facebook. We really do reveal a lot about ourselves, no matter how careful we think we are being, which could allow a psycho like this villain to use against you. The book also touches on the subject of cyber bullying which is all too common nowadays. I love books that incorporate real life threats and Roadside Crosses really accomplishes that. And I mean, come on, leaving Roadside Crosses before someone dies... that is just soooo creepy to me! However, I thought that there were some unbelieveable parts, including how Dance and her team comes to solve the case and it comes out of nowhere. That being said, I would still recommend this series to anyone who likes a good thriller/police procedural!

I am not sure what I am going to read next. My reading has slowed down so much, so I hope I can pick up something that will jumpstart it again! I've only finished 4 books this month and last month by this time I had read 7! I know it's quality and not quantity, but I miss reading a lot of books, especially good books. I feel like I am getting in a bit of a depressive slump, so it's something I really need to fight through. I hope you all are reading something fantastic! Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Staci said...

I've read another review of this book and I found the premise really creepy and totally scary because you just never know who is out there reading stuff about you!!! I hope whatever you choose next will jumpstart your reading engine!!!

Kristie said...

Thanks Staci! There were several aspects of this book that lends itself to spooky and creepy! I hope you pick it up!

Literary Feline said...

It is scary when you think about how available our information is out there--even from sources we might not be aware of. Zaba is a great example. This sounds like an interesting and, as you said, creepy, premise. Thanks for the review, Kristie. :-)

I hope you are able to get back into full swing with your reading. I am reading serious books right now and I think I'm ready for something light next.