Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shake Down by Joel Goodman

I picked up Shake Down by Mr. Goldman last time I was at the library. I will admit, the reason why I picked it up was because the book was published by Pinnacle Books. I really enjoy Pinnacle Books, as I have mentioned in the past. The back cover grabbed my attention and it was the first book I pulled out of my "book holder" late Monday night when I decided to start something new. While the back cover blurb was somewhat misleading, I really enjoyed the book and give it a B+.

Back cover:
The lives of three people collide over mass murder at a Kansas City residence that Special Agent Jack Davis has carefully staked out for weeks. Kate Scranton, whose job is spotting lies for high-priced courtroom lawyers, is convinced that mild-mannered Latrell Kelly knows something about the crime. But Latrell is hiding far more than Kate can guess. And with Jack half-blinded by an imploding personal life, and someone on his own side leaking crucial information, they're headed straight for the ultimate danger zone...

First off, Kate Scranton plays a very minor role in this book, though the role she plays is fascinating. Kate is able to spot mini facial movements that helps her decide if someone is lying. This is something that I have never heard of, and I assume is something that has some truth to it. I would have loved if Mr. Goldman had fleshed this idea out a bit more. Also, Jack is going through a terrible health crisis throughout the book that has him fearing the worst... Parkinsons or Lou Gherig's diasese. My father suffers from Parkinsons and has since I was about 16. I remember when his shaking first started and it was a very terrifying time in all of our lives. I get tremors sometimes and everyone is very cautious of this. I thought Mr. Goldman did a fantastic job dealing with this and adding it in to the suspense. There were quite a few twists and turns in the story and I finally had it figured out just as Jack was. I will definitely be checking out more books by Joel Goldman in the future.

This is my favorite time in the year... spring is finally arriving, baseball season has started, and hockey playoffs start! My beloved Wings start tomorrow and I will be screaming my head off at the tv at 7:00 and attending the game on Saturday! In between there, I will be enjoying my precious few days left off and hopefully getting a few more good books in. I am not sure what I am going to read next, but I want to finish off my library books. I hope everyone else is enjoying some good books and Happy Reading!

No comments: