Monday, February 9, 2009

Three Weeks to Say Goodbye by C.J. Box

I started reading a book by Meg Gardiner, but I put it down because it seemed like I was missing a lot of backstory and I didn't want to ruin the previous books. I decided to pick up Three Weeks to Say Goodbye, instead and am glad I did. Even though I was super busy and tired, I stayed up way too late to finish it and can grade it a A-.

From Amazon:
Jack and Melissa McGuane have spent years trying to have a baby. Finally their dream has come true with the adoption of their daughter, Angelina. But nine months after bringing her home, they receive a devastating phone call from the adoption agency: Angelina’s birth father, a teenager, never signed away his parental rights, and he wants her back. Worse, his father, a powerful Denver judge, wants him to own up to this responsibility and will use every advantage his position of power affords him to make sure it happens. When Jack and Melissa attempt to handle the situation rationally by meeting face-to-face with the father and son, it is immediately apparent that there’s something sinister about both of them and that love for Angelina is not the motivation for their actions.
As Angelina’s safety hangs in the balance, Jack and Melissa will stop at nothing to protect their child. A horrifying game of intimidation and double crosses begins that quickly becomes a death spiral where absolutely no one is safe.
How far would you go to save someone you love?


This book really tugged at my heart while having it race at the same time. It took me awhile to get into the book, but I really think it is because I worked all weekend and had only minutes here and there to sneak in a few pages. Once I finished work last night, I sat down and finished it in one sitting. I loved the way the book was written from Jack's point of view and showed the extreme that he would go to protect his wife and family. Mr. Box did a fantastic job with the suspense and I couldn't figure out where the story was going. There were plenty of twists and turns and the ending was something that was believable. I have picked up other of Mr. Box's books, but always put them down because the description didn't sound like something I would like, but I am definitely going to rethink that decision.

This book also allowed me to finish J. Kaye's Suspense and Thriller Challenge! This book qualifies for the Amateur Detective thriller and is my 12th and final book for the challenge. I loved this challenge and will always hold it close to me as it was my first challenge! Thanks J. Kaye for sponsoring such a fun challenge!!!!

Today at school I started Kiss by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. It seems kind of weird right now, but I am only 60 pages in. I have to work tonight until 8:30, but when I get home I think I am going to cuddle up and just read. I relax so much when I read and right now I am wound up tight! Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a Box fan. :( Didn't want to read past the 1st book. I have Kiss by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy on my shelf. I really hope you love it!

Dorte H said...

Wow - 12 thrillers already!
I have only read 4 and reviewed 3 yet, and I think I am doing okay :)

But I know that one of the reasons is that what I really love is crime fiction, so some thrillers are just too thrilling for me. I enjoy the good plot and the solution over the breathless excitement of the thriller.

Kristie said...

Dorte... these are really my favorite type of books so I figured this challenge would be a slam dunk.

J. Kaye: This book is a lot different from his series books. I think you may like this one.