Friday, February 20, 2009

Little Face by Sophie Hannah

Little Face was another book I read about from Mystery Scene. Sophie Hannah, the author, is a British author who is well established across the pond and Little Face was her first book published in the US. I really enjoyed it, and give it a B+.

From Amazon:
When Alice Fancourt leaves her newborn daughter at home with her husband for the first time since becoming a new mother, she comes home to a horrifying discovery: her child has been swapped with another baby. I n near hysterics, Alice rushes to call the police, but soon discovers that no one—not even her husband, David—believes her. When the police are called in, Detective Simon Waterhouse is drawn to the lovely Alice but doubts her story and suspects that she is suffering from postpartum depression. Meanwhile, David is growing increasingly hostile and Alice begins to fear that her baby’s disappearance may be linked to his previous wife’s untimely death.

Little Face was filled with twists and turns and was told alternating between the first week when Florence is reported missing and a week later. This is one messed up family that Alice has gotten herself mixed up in and parts of the book was just unbelieveable. It is hard to say much more than that without spoiling it for anyone, but if you enjoy a good psychological suspense, then I would highly recommend you run out to your local bookstore or library and pick up Little Face. I do believe that it was released in trade paperback this past December and while looking at Amazon, I did see another one of Ms. Hannah's books being published here in the States. I think I will be on the look out for it.

Up next is Breakneck by Erica Spindler. I got it from the library last week and am now just getting around to it. I love Ms. Spindler's books and hope this one is just as good. I have little time to read this month and I believe it is effecting my mood a bit. I am getting a little cranky not having the ability to escape in other worlds for a bit. Hopefully I will get in a better routine soon and have more time for reading. I hope everyone else is enjoying their reads... Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Dorte H said...

Oh, switching babies is such a horrible plot, thinks this mother of three. There are few things (in books) which really scare me, but one of them is plots which involve children.
In fact I experienced a funny baby-switching once. I had just had my first-born, and one morning the nurses brought three new-born babies into our room at the same time. They put a bundle in the arms of the first mother and she looked at it, horrified. "No, this is not my baby!" They checked the name tag, and she was right. The funny thing was that we could all hear the doubt in her voice.

Kristie said...

I am not a mom, but I wondered about that while reading this book. Could you recgonize your 1 day old baby from another that looked the same? I remember hearing a story where a little girl was kidnapped when she was 3 months old. Her mom saw her when she was 13 and recgonized her. It was proven through DNA to be her daughter. It floored me because children change so much.