Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blown Away by Shane Gericke

Whew... I finally finished a book! It took me forever since school has been so busy and crazy and on the weekends we have always had plans. Though I love my students and teaching, it is just so much work! But it will be worth it! Anyways, I have both of Shane Gericke books and I was looking forward to a good, gritty supense novel and grabbed this one off of my shelf. It was a good read, and once I got less than halfway through, it really held my attention. I give it a B.

Since joining the force, rookie cop Emily Thompson has had one ambition: to work homicide. Now she's got her chance. A twisted sociopath is turning her safe Chicago suburb into a brutal killing field, and every single one of his grisly clues leads directly to Emily. In 72 hours, on her fortieth birthday, he intends to make her his greatest trophy. If she doesn't stop him before then, Emily's first case will be her last.

In a city gripped by terror, and with little more to go on than her instincts, Emily must match wits with a madman bent on chilling revenge. It is an investigation that will lead her into a nightmare world of unimaginable crimes, the dark secrets of her own past- and to a final shocking discovery...

The suspense part of the book was really good. I had a pretty good idea who the bad guy was, but some clues kept making me second guess myself. I loved how flashbacks were done which really allowed the reader to get a good insight on Emily. However, sometimes I had to go back and reread passages because the author didn't give a lot of explanations for some things. It was a little bit confusing and hard to follow at times. The author also used a TON of exclamation points. They were everywhere, for things that really did not require an exclamation point and it really grated on my nerves. Overall though, I think it was a good first suspense novel written. However, I do feel I should warn you that the little romance was so off of the wall and it was pretty graphic in some of the killings that really kinda upset me when I normally do not.

Up next is a book that I have highly antipicated and waiting for... Heartsick by Chelsea Cain. I have heard great things about this book from blogs and other places about how good this book is supposed to be. I hope it holds up and I hope I can read it within a week. LOL.

Happy reading everyone!

No comments: