Monday, September 6, 2010

81. .The Starlite Drive-In by Marjorie Reynolds

The Starlite Drive-In was a pure impulse read. While picking up some holds from my local library, I saw it sitting on the new release bookshelf and decided to give it a try. It was a good read, but not great. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Start with a drive-in movie theater in the 1950s. Add a starstruck and lonely 12-year-old girl, and a handsome drifter. . . . The story unfolds almost cinematically and could make a wonderful movie. Told from Callie's perspective, it captures that childlike innocence and wisdom perfectly . . . a fine first novel from an author to be reckoned with".--"Richmond Times-Dispatch".

What grabbed my attention of this book is that it's set in the 1950s. Over the summer, I've come to love books set in the past and the 1950s are one decade I really love to read more about. I already love old movies and television shows, so why not books that are set at the same time? I will admit it took me a bit to get into the book, but I eventually got pulled in and enjoyed it. While the ending was a bit predictible, it was still a good book. There are some lessons that can be learned here especially about love. I loved the setting and thought that the idea was so creative and different. All in all, Starlite Drive-In was a fun way to spend the long holiday.

No comments: