Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Hunting We Will Go by Hal Friedman

I picked this book up from a library used book sale because of the author's name. I recgonized his name from co-authoring some books with James Patterson, and I always seem to enjoy his books that are written with someone else. It was a longer book, coming in at 440 pages, but it was a good book. I give it a B.

Back cover:
Arthur Combs is LA's hottest story. Dubbed Starman, this terrifying serial killer is a monster who preys on beautiful, famous women- guided by the sadistic urges of a mysterious partner.
Kaitlyn Rome is LA"s hottest TV news anchor. Intelligent and ambitious, she is the leading reporter on this career-making story- and Starman's next target.
As Starman closes in, Kate turns to the one person who can help her survive, veteran cop and department outsider Dan Jarrett. Together they must outwit a diabolical psychopath in a game with only one rule- kill or be killed.

This serial killer was really a true psycho, one that kills quite often. However, there wasn't a bunch of suspense, as the reader knows for the most part who the killer is. There are some twists throughout the story, especially one at the end, but it wasn't the best suspense book out there. I had a difficult time liking the main character, Kaitlyn, though, as she really rubbed me the wrong way. Some of the decisions she made left me thinking "what... why would you do that?!?" It drives me nuts sometimes when authors make characters stupid or behave in a way that a normal person would act like to just try and build or add some suspense. In my opinion, it wrecks the story and pulls me out of it. According to the author's biography in the back of the book this was the author's first book and I think it shows somewhat. I saw that the author had at least one other book out by himself and I might check it out sometime in the future, but it won't be on my immediate need to buy book list.

Up next is a library book. I am not sure which one I am going to choose, as I have several to choose from. This weekend seems to be a busy one, but I hope to be able to sneak some reading time in some where. Happy Reading everyone!

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

I know exactly what you mean, Kristie, about those characters who do the most stupid things and make you want to shake them and ask, "What were you thinking?" It can be hard to relate to the protagonist in those instances.

I am glad you were able to enjoy it even despite that.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Kristie!