Saturday, August 14, 2010

70. Barefoot by Elin Hildebrand

I fell in love with Ms. Hildebrand when I read her book, Summer People, and was excited to pick up another one by her from my library. Barefoot was a great read, and I give it an A-.



From Amazon:

Three women arrive at the local airport, observed by Josh, a Nantucket native home from college for the summer. Burdened with small children, unwieldy straw hats, and some obvious emotional issues, the women- two sisters, and one friend- make their way to the sisters' tiny cottage, inhertied from their aunt. They're all trying to escape from something: Melanie. after seven failed in-vitro attempts, learned her husband was cheating and learned she was pregnant; Brenda embarked on a passionate affair with an older student that got her fired from her prestigious job as a professor in New York; and her sister Vicki, mother to two small boys, has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Soon Josh is part of the chaotic household acting as babysitter, confidant, and eventually lover.



I thought that Elin Hildebrand is a great author and writes characters that are realistic and makes you feel something. Ms. Hildebrand brought me to the tiny cottage in Nantucket and I began to understand and like each of the characters. This was a perfect summer read, and one authop I hope to check out more of her books soon.

No comments: