Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Murder List by Julie Garwood

Murder List is a book I've had on my shelves for far too long. When I was looking for something to read, I finally decided to grab it and start reading it. It started off with a bang and then ended it with a damper. I give it a B-.

Back cover:
Hotel heiress Regan Hamilton Madison is flirting with danger. She agrees to help a journalist friend expose Dr. Lawerence Shields, a shady self-help guru who may have been responsible for the death of one of his vulnerable devotees. Hoping to find some damning evidence, Regan attends a Sheilds seminar, where the doctor has his guests make a list of the people who have hurt or angered them over the year and asks: Would your world be a better place if these people cease to exist? Treating the exercise as a game, Regan plays along.
The experience is all but forgotten- until the first person on Regan's list turns up dead. Shock turns to horror when another name from her list surfaces as a corpse. While brutal murders seem to stalk Regan's every move her attraction to the detective assigned to protect her grows. As the menace intensifies and a serial killer circles, Regan must discover who has turned her private revenge fantasies into grisly reality.

I really liked Regan in the beginning and thought she was a great character but as the story wore on, she became somewhat of a pain and a bit annoying. I thought that the book was a going to be a great suspense novel with the way it started, but after the first 100 pages or so it all turned to romance. The bulk of this book was devoted to Regan and the detective assigned to her and their love that would never happen because of the circumstance surrounding them (yeah right... that's how it always is in books!) I fully admit to skimming full chapters of the book which is something I rarely do and probably would have not finished it but I've been reading so little lately and just wanted to finish something. The ending was somewhat unbelieveable and the motive to the bad guy just didn't seem to make sense to me. I hate being disappointed in the books I'm reading so maybe I feeling a bit whiney right now.

Up next is the last library book I have checked out. I read about it on several other blogs and it will be the first by this author I've read. 13 1/2 by Nevada Barr sounds promising and I hope it grabs my attention quickly, but more imporatantly keeps my attention! Happy Reading everyone!

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

How frightening! Imagine if you made a list like that and everyone one it started dying . . . The premise of the novel is definitely intriguing. I'm sorry though it didn't turn out to be as good as you hoped. I haven't read anything by Julie Garwood before.

Hopefully your next book is much better.

Kristie said...

Exactly Wendy! Think if someone overheard you saying how you couldn't stand someone, or worse, and then they started disappearing! The premise was very spooky!