Wednesday, May 9, 2007

While Angels Sleep

This was the second book that I read by Judith Kelman. I am still not sure what I think about this one. I think I will probably have to rate this one as a C. Nothing special, nothing horrible. Just average.

Strange, terrible things had happened at Thornwood- years ago when Emily was just a child. First, there was her mother's sudden, tragic death. Then her father's slow, agonizing descent into madness. And finally, the horror had ended... or so Emily thought.

Now years later, she has come back- with children of her own. Back to the dark wooded seculison of the old art colony. Back to Thornwood- where the sins of the past are, somehow, still lingering in the shadows. Lurking in the hallways. And reaching out...

The suspense in this one was not set up until close to the end of the book. Most of the story revolves around Emily's stepdaughter and her problems and what is going to happen to the old art colony her father ran. I really did not like Emily that much and felt sorry for her stepdaughter who clearly was having a lot of problems. Then at the end of the story, within the last 30 pages or so, where the suspense comes out. Then we get some action but even then the story just kind of ends. I really didn't care for that. I think if the author expanded more on the suspense story line it may have been more enjoyable. I will still be looking for more books by this author, however, this one will not be on my keeper shelf.

Not sure what is up next. The library called and two books have come in. One is Sex on the Beach Book Club by Jennifer Apodaca and the other is Killer in High Heels by Gemma Halliday. It is pouring outside right now and I took some medicine that is making me dizzy so I don't think I will be taking the trip to the library now. Maybe the newest Nicci French novel I have. Well Happy Reading to all!

No comments: